Tuesday, April 03, 2007
What's new in Purple
Here's what's currently happening in my Deep Purple listening experience:

This weekend I popped in the Live In Montreux 1996 DVD. I bought this when it came out but I've not watched it much. I was reminded that it's a really great show. The version of "Fireball" is great, and although I didn't watch it over the weekend, I remember really enjoying "Speed King" as well. When work dies down in a couple of weeks I'll have to go through the whole thing again.

Last week I finally got the Rainbow Live In Cologne 1976 set. Great show. I'd put it off for a little while since I had plenty of 1976-era Rainbow on disc (including Live In Europe, compiled from the same German tour). That was probably a mistake. I love this show. I need to order Dusseldorf before too long.

I did order the rereleases of Gillan's Mr. Universe and Glory Road last week. I'm looking forward to their arrival. I'll post my thoughts on them when they come in.

In terms of the larger Deep Purple extended family, I'll be getting Black Sabbath: The Dio Years today. I always thought the Sabbs were at their best with Dio, and it will be nice to have this collection, along with the new tracks. I'm interested to see how the digital remastering improves the sound.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to Shades of Deep Purple.
 
posted by Matthew Turnage at 6:56 AM | Permalink |


0 Comments: