Thursday, March 01, 2007
The Revolution Will Be Digitized
I am a technophobe, I think. I'm generally resistant to new technology (although I was a quick adopter of DVD and CD) for whatever reason. I have avoided iTunes and iPods like the plague. In this case, a lot of my problem has to do with lossy music formats. However, I often find that once I actually try new technology, I like it.

I recently started playing around with iTunes for the first time, so I could stay caught up on 24. After I actually played with it a little bit, it occured to me that music in a lossy format wouldn't make much difference to listen to at work since I can't crank it up and probably wouldn't notice much difference on computer speakers anyway.

So, last week I decided to import all of Deep Purple's studio albums into my computer's iTunes. I now have just over 18 hours of Deep Purple on my computer taking up just under 1 gig of my hard drive. And I am loving it.

Normally I like to listen to albums straight through but today I put my DP play list on shuffle, and it's an interesting listening experience - like having my own private DP radio station. With the various lineups and styles the band has had over the years, you can get interesting combinations. For example, here are the last five songs that have played on my computer: "Girls Like That", "Rat Bat Blue ('99 Remix)", "Truth Hurts", "Bad Attitude", and "You Keep On Moving." Up next: "Somebody Stole My Guitar." This is a lot of fun and it's re-energized my DP listening experience. In fact, I'm thinking about importing my Rainbow albums soon.

I'm still not buying an iPod though!
 
posted by Matthew Turnage at 4:32 PM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


At 9:10 AM, Blogger Stewart

Dude, you need a video iPod now.

 

At 5:50 AM, Blogger Matthew Turnage

I don't see that happening.

Of course, I never saw myself blogging either....